Ever since I met my husband, we’ve been on a mission to give each other cute (ok, sometimes really cheesy) handmade gifts on special occasions. In the early days of our courtship, things got pretty elaborate – he’s made me a book about how we met on Plenty of Fish (oh yeah!), an old-fashioned Cheerios box, and even a funny pole dancing stuffed bear decoration (that’s a story for another day) and I’ve made him a board game all about his bug obsession, scrapbooks and weird candy creatures glued together with frosting. Yup. We’re weird. But I gotta tell you, as much as I love the guy, making handmade gifts is getting to be more of a challenge because, well, life. (I blame kids!)
I’ve recently been trying to get back into it though, but to downgrade my efforts and expectations for myself so that I, you know, actually do something instead of just thinking about it. Because sometimes, even just a thoughtful card will do. And by thoughtful, I mean silly (of course!). And probably a little suggestive, because after all, I’m a Scorpio and we live for dirty jokes (truth).
As I meet my customers though, it occurs to me that we have a lot of things in common. Like our love of lip balm, leggings and silliness. So I thought, why take some of these gloriously crazy ideas that live inside my head, get them down into funny little cards and share them with you so that you can be a clever, DIY, gift-giving ninja too!
So I made you this card:
This is my first card to what I hope will become a growing collection. Pair it with one of my novelty lip balms (I recommend the Après-Smooch or Pucker Up, for obvious reasons!), and you have a funny, cute yet slightly suggestive gift to give your sweetie, and you can even say you made it yourself! (Hey, printing, folding and gluing is all VERY crafty you know!)
So here is what you for sure need:
- 5 minutes
- a printer
- a lip balm
- A sheet of cardstock in letter or A5 size, or a blank greeting card in letter or A5 size
- some glue dots, scotch tape, washi tape to stick your lip balm to the card
1. Depending on the size of cardstock you’ve got, click on the appropriate link below to download your card
2. Once your download finishes, open it up. Since the file is a PDF, you can easily view in in Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don’t already have it, you can download the program for free here.
3. Print your card. Be sure to adjust your printer settings to the size of paper you’re using, and you might even want to adjust the print quality to “high” so that you get a nice, clean, crisp printout. Yay!
4. Wow! You’re almost done! Now all you need to do is fold your card in half. If you look very closely, you’ll see a faint grey line across the middle of the page. Yeah, I put that there for you! Cause finding the middle is harder than it seems sometimes! Anyways, do your best to fold your card on that line. I will not be mad if you don’t do it perfectly, and neither will your sweetie. Promise. And if you’re into scrapbooking and have a scoring tool, you can use that too.
5. There! Now your card is just about ready, and all that’s missing is the finishing touch – that clever tube of lip balm! Feel free to stick it to the front of the card, the inside – wherever you like! I’ve stuck mine on there with some glue dots, but you can use scotch tape, washi tape, heck, you could even use a band-aid if you were desperate and up for some extra laughs – I sure won’t judge!
6. Now it’s time to personalize the card any way you like, so add your own message inside, cover it in lipstick prints or maybe just doodle something funny inside – just have fun!
8. Oh yeah! Don’t forget to give it to your sweetie! 😉